This plugin implements the two-phase spherical parameterization algorithm introduced in the following article:
3D Surface Filtering Using Spherical Harmonics
Kun Zhou, Hujun Bao, Jiaoying Shi
Computer-Aided Design, 36(4), 363-375, 2004.
Quick Start guide
- Step 0: Download and launch the plugin.
- Step 1: Load the input mesh (VTK format).
- Step 2: Choose the destination folder for the spherical mesh (VTK format).
- Step 3 (optional): Create a new sequence (Icy Application Menu > New) if you wish to observe the progressive spherical parameterization process. In the single channel selection window, choose (Select canvas type > default 3D canvas (VTK)).
- Step 4: Start the plugin by pressing [Play]. You can keep track of what is going on by keeping an eye on the [Output] tab.
- For the time being, the break loop condition is set to 16. This means that the decimation process will stop as soon as the number of vertices reaches that number, even if the mesh is not convex.
- If you wish to save every single mesh created during the edge collapse operations as well as their corresponding spherical meshes, you can do so by checking the [Export intermediate meshes] box.
- If the edge collapse process fails, you will be notified immediately. Check the [Verify] box and try again. Please note that doing so does however greatly increase the total run time.
- If you wish to terminate the current execution for whatever reason, press [Stop].